Welcome to the website of Humanist Society Scotland (HSS). Welcome to humanism.
HSS is the Scottish charity working on behalf of non-religious people who seek to live ethical and fulfilling lives on the basis of reason and humanity.
Most of us want to celebrate important events in our lives, such as new lives, committed relationships, and, very importantly, lives which have ended.
For those of us with no religious belief it is important that we can mark these occasions with personal ceremonies which celebrate the events.
HSS provides trained and registered celebrants who work to set standards and a code of conduct and can help you create the ceremony which is right for you and your family.
We aim to reflect the views of the millions of Scots who value secularism in public life – and who go on to agree with our Vision of a fair, progressive and open Scotland. We seek to influence public policy - not just in Scotland, but in the UK and internationally. We know that we are just one voice among many. We recognise that we have a right to be heard, but not a right to win the debate; and we ask that those who do not share our values recognise the same.
Support for teachers, students and parents in order to develop critical thinking skills in our young people. There are:
- teaching materials suitable for all stages and individual study for senior pupils
- DVDs and class sets of books to be chosen from our reviews
- advice to parents and senior pupils who wish to opt out of RO and RE
- HSS-EG Pub Night - The Bellevue Bar - Thinking and Drinking
March 26, 2014, 19:00 – 23:00,
- Highland Group: AGM and Celebrant's Report - Penelope Hamilton
March 9, 2014, 14:00 – 16:00,
- “Secularisation and civilisation: can history show if society is good without god?”
March 13, 2014, 17:30 – 19:30, LECTURE THEATRE 255 MAIN BUILDING UNIVERSITY AVENUE G12 8QQ GLASGOW